Systems Thinking in PracticeBusiness Management
Course Date & Course Fee
- Applicable for In-House Training (Quote Upon Request)
According to leading researchers in systems thinking and organisational learning, Systems Thinking offers a language for understanding and working with complexity. The tools and techniques of Systems Thinking to enable us to understand the complexity of diverse situations, allowing us to be better able to think and act in ways that produce desired results without causing unintended consequences. The overall purpose of this workshop is to provide a fundamental approach in applying systems thinking in some organisational situations and to produce sustainable results and enhance organisational learning. During this course, you will apply the systems-thinking methodology and tools to real situations that you face in the workplace.
Upon completion of this workshop, participants will be able to;
- Use the language and concepts of systems, and explain systems thinking and complexity and their implications for the workplace.
- Describe specific types of systems called archetypes that may be at play within complex problems.
- Apply a Systems Thinking methodology and tools to apply their understanding of systems thinking to a challenging situation and opportunity.
- Explain how to use systems thinking in a variety of situations.
- Develop an action plan to deal with the challenging problem and opportunities.
Who Should Attend
For professionals and managers currently engaged in working in teams. Much of the work will apply theory to the current challenges and dysfunctions observed in groups.
Module 1: Programme Overview
- Introductions to Systems Thinking
- Ground rules and expectations
- Opening Case Study
Module 2: Introduction to Systems Thinking
- What is System Thinking, and how is it used?
Module 3: Structures of Systems Thinking
- Vicious Cycle, Cycle of Failure
- Positive and negative reinforcement loops and short exercises
- Symptom and corrective problem loops, and brief exercises
- Systems Thinking Steps
- Systems Thinking Archetypes, e.g. limits to growth, shifting the burden and fixes that backfire
Module 4: Systems Language, Lags (time delays), Consequences and Levers
Module 5: Systems Thinking in Practice
Module 6: Guided Practice: Applying Systems Thinking in Organizations
- Launch Plan
- Monitor Plan
- Project After-Action Debrief
Module 7: Guided Practice: Applying Systems Thinking in Organizations - Small-group work on real-work related problems
- Closure & Summary
- Action Planning
This program will be delivered via conceptual briefing using written and visual aids. Participants will be provided with the opportunity to work with some small group exercises and a case study to provide a practical focus, enabling the participants to practise the methodology and tools. Additionally, there will be group discussions to practise using the tools on actual work-related situations back at work. The workshop leader will facilitate group discussions and feedback on applying methodology and techniques to work-related problems.
Jack Chua facilitates and consults client organisations in workshops, boot camps and organisation development assignments such as assessment centre, team development (include diagnostic work and 1:1 coaching), executive coaching and strategy cascades/implementations.
He is an adjunct staff member with the Center for Creative Leadership. He has certifications or professional competence in numerous Human Resource and Organization Development related activities such as job analysis, work profiling, teamwork, coaching, cycle time reduction through cross-functional process mapping, career planning, MBTI® Step I and II, CPI 260, Conflict Dynamic Profiling, Voices 360- degree feedback, 360 by Design, Benchmarks, Workplace Big 5 Profiling, competency-based interviewing, performance management, HR audit, and HR planning process.
Jack holds a degree in management and an M.B.A. in Strategic and International Management. He is proficient in both English and Mandarin.
Quick InformationUnderstanding the basic approach in applying systems thinking in many organizational situations and to produce sustainable results and enhance organizational learning.
+65 6842 6666